Frequently Asked Questions
We provide products that are 100% chemical free, non-GMO, heavy metals free, not salt-based, not petroleum-based. At Good Dirt, we are committed to making gardening products that are SAFE and SUSTAINABLE.
While our products are not OMRI certified at this time, we can tell you about the measures we take to provide you with safe, clean products made from ingredients that are sustainably sourced:
- Good Dirt Potting Mixes are all-natural and have no chemicals. Our peat moss is sustainably harvested, and the BogBits® are a recycled byproduct equivalent to semi-petrified wood fibers that add permanent porosity. The soil also includes our Good Dirt organic-based Plant Food booster, derived from oilseed extract which contains everything a seed needs to germinate and hence any plant to grow strong and it is produced in a zero-waste manufacturing facility. It is organic, but not listed or certified organic.
- Good Dirt Plant Food is organic based. We start with extract from high nutrient value seed and enhance it to provide additional NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium). The oil-seed extract is made in a zero waste manufacturing plant here in the US. From the seed, we get everything a plant needs to grow. NPK (10-4-3), all of the trace elements including Calcium, the plant essential amino acids and all the organic compounds found in a seed. It is non-GMO, Vegan, not salt-based and heavy metals free. Our plant food is not petroleum based (most are and it accumulates salt in the soil, eventually burning roots).
Yes! All our products are chemical-free, non-GMO, vegan, and sustainably produced. Safe to use near kids and pets, safe to use on edible plants, even safe if you have nut allergies.
Yes, all our products are vegan and plant based. We do not add any animal byproducts to any soil mixes or plant nutrition.
Many companies that add animal byproducts to their mixes or fertilizers are trying to balance the nutrients for plants. However, our Good Dirt Plant Food (included in our potting mixes, as well as sold separately for plant nutrition) does not need these ingredients.
Our products are made from plants, for plants. The base of our plant food is derived from oilseed extract and contains everything Nature puts into a seed to reproduce the species.
The natural oilseed extract contains NPK, trace elements, and all the organic compounds found in a seed, including all the essential plant amino acids.
Our soil mix recipes do not contain any nuts or peanuts that may potentially be harmful to gardeners with allergies, nor do our facilities process products that include nuts or peanuts.
Why Peat? It has an amazing capacity to retain moisture so your plants can thrive!
Peat based products (like Good Dirt!) means the primary ingredient is an organic, soilless, naturally sterile medium harvested from peat bogs. Soils that are based in peat moss are typically lightweight, fluffy, and have good airflow.
Its stellar water retention means you need to hear a word of caution: be careful not to overwater peat based soils.
What is NOT our main ingredient? We are proudly BARK-FREE! We don’t use bark because it breaks down and decomposes quickly. When dirt gets dense, it takes away available air space — and your plant’s root health counts on air just as much as it does water.
Want to learn more? Read how our peat is sustainably harvested.
BogBits® are our proprietary recycled by-product of sustainably harvested peat moss. It provides the permanent porosity that plants need to breathe and roots to thrive.
On a trip to Canada, our founders encountered a naturally occurring phenomenon found in peat moss bogs — ‘sticks’ that could be broken down into a fiber for a new type of potting mix. A kind of mix that would provide a better balance of air space and water retention; a better home for roots to grow and form.
Good Dirt® worked with a team to develop their own special recipe using this new magical ingredient, and BogBits was born.
BogBits are comprised of partially petrified peat from Canadian peat bogs. In years past, this by-product of peat moss harvest would have simply been discarded, or used to pave peat bog access roads.
Now, these BogBits have allowed us to create a rich, fluffy Soil Conditioner and Potting Mix with porosity unlike anything on the market.
Good Dirt does not need to be mixed with any additional ingredients.
Why don’t you need to mix anything in? Because of our key ingredients!
- BogBits provide an air-rich structure that allows roots to thrive
- Superior quality peat moss promotes optimum levels of water and nutrient retention.
- Our special formula also includes a nutrient charge from an organic based Plant Food and a dose of PlantBiotics to help you achieve a LIVING SOIL.
We DO NOT recommend:
- Do not add sand to the mix: the sand particles are so small that they fill in the air pockets in the soil, reducing aeration and drainage.
- Do not add bark to the mix: bark breaks down and decomposes quickly. When dirt gets dense, it takes away available air space — and your plant’s root health counts on air just as much as it does water.
We DO recommend: using a pot with drainage holes!
All plants, except for orchids, benefit from Good Dirt Potting Mixes without any additional ingredients!
Orchids are the only plant species we do not recommend to be planted in Good Dirt, because our soil is peat based. Orchids need to be planted in a bark-based growing medium.
They are more alike than they are different! The Indoor Potting Mix has perlite, whereas the Outdoor Mix does not. That’s it.
You’re totally safe to plant your indoor houseplants using our Outdoor Potting Mix and vice versa.
We added the perlite to the Indoor Potting Mix for your houseplants to have a little extra air space in the soil. The extra perlite in the Indoor Potting Mix is great for people who tend to overwater or who are beginner plant parents because of its additional layer of drainage.
How much perlite is in the Indoor Potting Mix? We add less than 3% of horticultural perlite in the Indoor Potting Mix, because our BogBits® provide the airspace needed in the soil for proper drainage. This proper drainage means oxygen, water, and nutrients can flow freely to the roots.
About Plant Nutrition
Our Plant Food feeds your plants good nutrients and our PlantBiotics helps your plants easily intake those nutrients (while also protecting roots and preventing disease).
In more detail…
Good Dirt Plant Food is a liquid concentrate. The base of the plant food is derived naturally from Oilseed Extract, which contains everything nature puts into a seed to reproduce the species. The natural Oilseed Extract contains NPK, trace elements, and all the organic compounds found in a seed. This includes all plant essential amino acids.
Good Dirt PlantBiotics are a complex package of beneficial microbes that get in around the roots to protect them, forming a tough, protective endospore, allowing the plants to tolerate extreme environmental conditions and transplant shock. They also help with nutrient uptake and continue to colonize/grow as they are also being fed with the organics from the Good Dirt Plant Food.
Yes! Together, they are a dynamic duo of plant nutrition and help you proactively provide wellness for your plants. Definitely use them together.
Good Dirt Plant Food encourages both foliage and root growth thanks to the nutrition and the benefits the amino acids provide. Good Dirt PlantBiotics enhances nutrient uptake. Both products provide some additional slow release Nitrogen and nutrition — the Plant Food does this through the organic insoluble Nitrogen and the PlantBiotics through its storage and release of all nutrients.
Our Plant Food is derived from a seed (oil seed to be specific) and contains all the nutrients a seed needs to germinate – for that reason it is great for ALL plants.
It is made from plants, for plants. It contains all the compounds, amino acids, and trace elements a seed needs to germinate and all plants to thrive. The recipe is then enhanced with NPK 10-4-3 (which is not salt-based) so it won’t cause roots and leaves to burn.
As often as you like!
It is true — you can apply our Plant Food each time you water your plants.
Why? Our products are not salt or petroleum based. Too much salt can cause plant drought stress or root burn.
Since we don’t base our products in salt or petroleum, you can feed your plants year round, as often as you like, and you will not have a build up of salts.
Pro Tip: Feed your plants with our Plant Food all through the winter. When plants are dormant, they’re not dead! They’ll soak up those nutrients during the cold, sleepy winter months and then burst to life come spring.
How to use Good Dirt’s Plant Food: Our liquid concentrated formula is easy to mix and goes a long way – there are 60 capfuls in our 15oz product.
- Outdoors: Mix 3 capfuls of our Plant Food into 1 gallon of water
- Indoors: Mix 1 capful of our Plant Food into 1 gallon of water
- Make a fresh solution every time you feed
Every 4-6 weeks.
We recommend using PlantBiotics every 4-6 weeks to bring your soil to life. It’s also a great product to use when you’re transplanting to reduce shock.
Our easy to use shaker bottle means you just apply a light dusting to plant beds and containers, water, and watch them grow, grow, grow!
Since every gardening environment is different, your pot may breakdown into nothing within a growing season or you may have a little part of your pot left. Any product that is still recognizable can be tilled up for nutrients for your next growing season or you can industrially compost with your organics.
Shipping & Ordering
We want to make sure you love Good Dirt! While we do not have a product guarantee, we back up our Good Dirt family of retailers and our own retail website.
If you have any issues with your products, please reach out to us at email@example.com with a description of the problem, where you purchased it (if you bought through our website, please include your order confirmation number), and include 2-3 pictures.
We stand behind our products and look forward to helping you.
We’re a small team, and will work to answer you as quickly as possible. The best way to reach us to discuss an issue with your order is via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide as much information as possible in your message, including your order number.
Your order will ship within 3-5 business days. You’ll receive a shipping confirmation email as soon as your order leaves our warehouse.
We are not able to apply coupon codes to completed orders. You can use any non-expired coupon codes on your next order.
You can buy Good Dirt online at our website, seasonally at select Target locations, and at Independent Retailers across the United States. To find a Good Dirt shop near you, use our Store Locator.
No, we are not able to ship to PO Boxes. Our carrier does not accept PO Boxes as shipping addresses.
A tracking number will be sent to the email address you used to place your order. Your order will ship within 3-5 business days and you’ll receive a shipping confirmation email as soon as your order leaves our warehouse.
Sometimes our shipping carrier experiences delays outside of our control. Look up the shipping status using your tracking number (sent to you in a shipping confirmation email from Good Dirt) to see if there are delays to the delivery. Email us with any additional shipping questions: email@example.com
Good Dirt would like all of our customers to be happy with every product that they purchase from us. We are committed to providing you with the highest quality products. However, we understand that there may come a time when you would like to return an item. Here are some guidelines for what can be returned and what to expect in the process:
- You may return unused, unopened items within 30 days of the purchase date (or delivery date) for a refund of the purchase price of that item (excluding any shipping costs). Returned items must be accompanied by the original packing slip. Opened items may not be returned.
- We will refund the price of the item being returned plus applicable sales taxes according to your original method of payment within five business days. The cost of shipping is non-refundable.
- If the item being returned is defective or if the incorrect item was shipped as a result of our mistake, we will provide a full refund, including the costs of shipping.
- You must contact us within 48 hours if a shipment arrives containing damaged or missing items in order for the return policy to be effective.
- When shipping a return, we advise you to insure the shipment against loss or damage and obtain a tracking number. We will not provide a refund or exchange if the merchandise is not returned.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about a return.